So, I just got my pimax and did an unboxing and demo session for the members of the pimax (unofficial) discord. I have some things that no one has said, and I thought might be nice to tell people, this will basically be a big list of things and tips that I came across that weren’t said before, and I’ve been pretty thorough on following all the news and exposure.
I backed the 8K, but switched to the 5K+, and I am backer number 31, with a 1070 graphics card (for now).
- The blue strip on the front is actually blue plastic, and is lit up from behind, there is no sign of different colored LEDs for “patterns” like it originally had.
- When putting in the head strap on the top, make sure to use a butterknife or something to get the cloth strap to thread the awkward angle by riding up the knife.
- The nose gap has visible light coming in, but not as bad as the oculus, and somewhat forgetable if you don’t look down too much.
- There is still distortion, but it comes in the form of the image being compressed horizontally, the closer it gets to the edge of your vision, which you don’t notice when you use your head to look (like people normally do in VR). So we’re still not quite at the software stage where we can use our eyes to look around.
- “PiHome” is just a planet scene with a dark grey unity-made bumpy terrain, with a sun and some planets around you. This will be active when steamVR is not started yet.
- If you ever get “usb device not recognized”, try unplugging the power, display port, and the usb plug, then plugging them in reverse order to the way I listed them, especially power last.
- If that doesn’t work, you may need to restart you computer.
- Pitool will re-do your bounds (for the first time only) to a complete circle about 2 feet in diameter, and remove any bounds that was set up in steamVR.
- The plastic on the pimax is sharper/smoother feeling that you might imagine.
- Yes, the SDE is still visible, but you quickly forget about it, and enjoy how CRISP text looks.
- Make sure you set your steam vr supersampling BEFORE starting a game for the first time, as you might just lag it out if you have it on 130% like I did. I know this sounds obvious, but I totally forgot in the excitement.
- There was a fogging problem at first (like the oculus), but after three or so times of wiping the lense off, I think the air warmed up enough that it stopped fogging.
- The IPD adjustment knob, at the more extreme ends of ranges, begins to not turn as well, like it has some kind of spring attached to it, pulling it back half a turn, but it can adjust just a bit higher even still, if you really need it to.
Please ask me any questions, and I will try my best to be around to answer as many questions as I can, from the perspective of a vive user just getting the pimax.