[Update] Selling my 8K "X" pledge, received 8K loaner unit, UK or EU preferred

I am considering selling my 8K “X” pledge if price is right, it is the [Limited Edition] 8K X.

Update:
I received my 8K loaner unit, not open yet, just the headset, not full package - no controllers or base stations.
I am based in Scotland, UK, prefer to sell to UK or EU only.

PM for offer, thanks.

My buyer should ship the 8K loaner unit back to Pimax later in order to get the 8KX when it is released.
(I will change to address so Pimax will ship 8KX directly to you.)

i really would like to upgrade to 8kx but i dont have the money at the moment to get it additional to my 8k full package pledge :confused:

i am interested, how much?

let me know.

Do you know if a single 1080 Ti card is enough?

No a single Gtx 1080ti won’t be enough for 2x4k @90hz
@SlickRick

True even vrlink would still need the additional vrlink or extra dp.

Since when did they plan virtuallink, let alone a single one? The video link in VirtualLink is one DisplayPort. Granted, using DSC would be better than an upscaler, and VirtualLink capable boards should support DSC, but it’s still no more capacity.

Regarding demanding games yes - that would be a problem. But it is always possible to upscale. You don’t have to play a game in 4K just because you have a 4K monitor. You can run some less demanding games in 4K and more demanding in QHD. Same goes for VR.
On the other hand, watching movies and using a virtual desktop environment should work on a 1080ti. And this seems to be one of the top reasons for the backers that went for the 8KX.

Do they have stickman vr?

The 8k-X needs native 4k input /eye.

The 8k-X unlike your monitor has no upscaler.

Movies yes you might be able to.

this is something i was always wondering…why every Monitor can do that but no VR Headset? ^^

The Pimax driver/GPU can upscale the resolution. A game can render in 2xQHD and the driver/GPU simply upscales that resolution to 2x4K and sends it to the 8KX.

Usually upscaling happens in TVs where there is no GPU and the resolution of the source material differs. The 8K is a more exotic use case, where the bandwith is not sufficient.

Monitors have scalers built in. Anything displayed that occupies the entire screen is using a scaler.

Reasons not to jump to Pimax 8K X right now:

1. By the time you get your Pimax 8K X, other better headsets are probably finally revealed such as Vive 2/Oculus Rift 2 or other that uses the foveate rendering technique giving you human-like resolution without SDE.
  2. Will have to invest in the best graphics card to take advantage of the headset.

Here’s my 2 cents as someone pledged on a full 8K-X package:

Chinese products are always unbeatable for the price. There is no way a Western competitor will launch an HMD that is better than 8K-X soon, for the same price, it will have to be more expensive due to R&D and production costs. Prime example - Star VR, which may be 3-5 times the price. Even if they reduced the final cost in a year or so to twice the price, it’s still twice the price.

Top end AMD Navi 7nm cards should arrive from AMD by the end of 2019, NVIDIA will have to respond with a 7nm refresh of 2080TI. A 2080TI on 7nm will be an incredible card, irrespective if AMD deliver or not. 2x 2080TI 7nm refresh should be able to run an 8K-X, which is basically two miniature 4K monitors, allegedly at 90hz. We also need to factor in NVIDIA NV-LINK and if Pimax have been talking to Nvidia, which I expect they have, as the more HMD’s sold, the more people will then flock to Nvidia products, as NV-LINK is necessary for ultra high resolution VR gaming. AMD also now have their version in the pipeline - xGMI

Source: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-xgmi-vega-20-gpu-nvidia-nvlink

So for me, if you aren’t a regular VR gamer, then I’d stick with your 8K-X pledge. By the time it arrives, watch movies on it for 9 months or so. Later, you can play native 4K per eye VR games once 7nm GPU’s emerge. Yes, you may then find someone launches something better, but this is life and also by buying Pimax, you aren’t supporting Oculus with their controversial walled garden software platform. which is one core reason people went with a Vive instead of a Rift.

Worst case scenario, keep it boxed, never open it and sell it online for $$$ as until it’s sold on the Pimax store, only 400 example will exist in the world and you have an exclusive product.

I’m intersted aswell,

I’m new to this forum and can’t find how to PM, just send me a message with your price.

I am also wondering whether bringing out a two cable 8k X with GPU-side upscaling would have been a better decision than bringing the 8k with a hardwired scaler. Sounds much more future proof to me, could easily be driven at 90 Hz (at upscaled resolutions with current GPUs). GPU-side upscaling could also be improved with software updates, hardware side probably not so easily. That 8k X with two cables and the 5k+ with one cable (with the option for foveated rendering later on) should cover a lot of ground.

Why is the hardware upscaler so much better than GPU-side upscaling? How much additional overhead would upscaling really impose on the GPU? (additional to wrapping and everything that the GPU does anyhow) Or is it just/mainly about the additional cable?

Yes, conceptually the 8K X has all the advantages… except for one particular real world issue: the transfer rate required out of the graphics card to the headset. The DP receiver chip Pimax use isn’t HBR3 capable, so cannot receive 3840x2160 at 90Hz. The standard timing theoretical limit is 80.25Hz (nonstandard timing theoretically could go over 86Hz) - sounds familiar. That’s almost certainly the restriction the 8K is hitting in its scaler. So they couldn’t build a 90Hz 8K X at the time. The HBR3 capable successor chip is supposed to launch next year, bumping capacity by 50% - so still not covering the 8K X target rates without two cables or compression (which it should have, but it is a compromise).

As for load on the GPU, we’re talking about readout rates of 448MB/s instead of 199MB/s, out of a 224GB/s (for geforce 970) memory capacity; it’s not a big issue.

Hi Do you have a price in mind?

Lonetech have you looked over Analogix upcoming anx7538/9 bridge chips? With 8k-X in 2019 (though the new bridge chips not likely available til q3ish)

Yes, though only superficially. The two are identical aside from dynamic sync support in the ANX7539, which doesn’t play well with low latency strobing that VR headsets to do avoid excessive motion blur. Analogix press release sets the timescale as samples in Q3 2018, with mass production in Q1 2019. I’m not sure if they manage to do that, or if they’ll have fully operational DSC right away (it’s not uncommon for such things to suffer errors in early revisions). Also note that the 8K X production run is only supposed to be about 400 devices; that’s actually plausible in engineering sample scale.

So what does this mean for Pimax headsets? The 8K production is too early to benefit. The 8K X is delayed - possibly precisely to await this chipset. The capacity of the ANX7538 isn’t enough to run the 8K X uncompressed, but if they do use DSC compression that’s a heck of a lot better quality than e.g. Pentile’s losses (for comparison, those are in the region of 4:2:2). I personally expect I’d be OK with the 8K X taking that compromise, if only to avoid the driver hassle of matching up dual DP outputs. The included scaler means the ANX7538 would be a logical upgrade for the 8K series as well; I wouldn’t be shocked to see the 8K model replaced with an 8K mk2, accepting the higher cost of ANX7538 over ANX7530 to remove the separate scaler, add flexibility, and push the purchase volume of the ANX7538 up. But that may only happen once Pimax start to exhaust the ANX7530 supplies, which will still go into 5K and 5K+.

Even if we were to assume DSC was buggy (which it might well be on the GPU side), we could scale down the video signal to 82.25% linearly and reach 90Hz at 3158x1776 (yeah, that’s an odd resolution, so wouldn’t be surprising to see it adjusted for some rounding). That’s a 23% linear or 52% pixel count improvement over what the 5K series can do, without sacrificing frame rate to 8K levels. Scalers do vary in quality though; it’s possible the discrete one in the 8K does a better job than the integrated in ANX7538.

Well, I expect the 8KX to use 2 ANX7538 and two DP 1.4 inputs. So no DSC should be necessary if I’m correct.

But, I hope Pimax allows to use the 8KX with only one DP1.4 as well (maybe using DSC) to improve compatability with wireless solutions that are made for the 8K. Otherwise I fear that no wireless solution will be available due to the low numbers of potential buyers.