Vive Pro 880€ HMD only.... (double facepalm) Fat chance...!

I agree with you the Pro is def the best HMD out there and I will be buying one if the Pimax is not upto scratch
edit ( until pimax comes out hopefully )(

Have you considered buying a herovr? Lol

The real question was your headache related to the bright sde screens? If so have you tried the Odyssy or is it that you bought the Pro & simply found it good?

The head mount itself looks like my face shield at work with padding. (Which of course it was face shield/welding helmet that inspired the humanized headmount with removal of the top band)

Here are some pics

How does it look with supersampling maxed out?

HTC did not communicate well that the issue is firmware related, but the company seems to think that’s the case and issued a fix last week.
The fix didn’t resolve the problem (though it did improve the audio quality).

It remains to be seen whether HTC can truly correct the audio issues of the Pro.

"What it comes down to is poor marketing at CES. At ces they made it sound like it was a good upgrade for Vive users(meaning reasonably priced).

When they should have said good for proffessional developing & working in vr. This is also can be an upgrade for existing Vive users, but targeted more for commercial/proffessional use. (Meaning pricey)"

Helio, they did do that. No one listened, though.
https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/01/08/htc-vive-raises-bar-premium-vr-new-vive-pro-upgrade-wireless-vive-adaptor/

“New Hardware Raises the Bar for High-End VR Market, While All-New Viveport VR and Vive Video Dramatically Improves the way You Browse, Discover and Acquire VR Content…”

“Vive Pro is a new HMD upgrade from Vive, built for VR enthusiasts and enterprise users who want the best display and audio for their VR experiences…”

“There’s a clear need in the VR market for a premium VR experience with high resolution display, integrated audio and the best components available today in a headset,” said Daniel O’Brien, GM U.S., VIVE. “Vive Pro offers an immediate upgrade for both VR enthusiasts and enterprises that want to utilize the best VR experience.”

HTC made it very clear from day one that the Vive Pro would cater to premium buyers and businesses.

Ah but premium displays? I think not. They should have bumped higher than simply using Oddyssy screens & their old optics. Now if they had used higher res screens & improved lenses. Their price point would have been better rec’d.

Even marketing that it has better moisture resistance for the sweaty folk. But on that side how is it for heat dissipation?

Could someone show my a better VR display available now in qty? They choose an Oled display from a reputed and big company Samsung.

HTC would face the same refresh rate problem Pimax have if the go beyong the current resolution you can not impose the nvidia 1080 has the minimum requirement

Honestly if you take off your VR enthusiasms mind set for a moment. the overprice point of this product is the problem, the rest of the design make economical sense for the current VR market.

Maybe. However if they went even with 4k with true 4k input maybe not. And we all now pentile maybe good for phones; but not as good for VR. An oked 4k would be better.

As for displays we should see what we can find out about the qhd 120hz screens in the Razer Phone shown at CES.

Plus if HTC is unable to fix the audio issue… Well not good.

If the actual VR consumer market was so lucrative and technology feasible on higher resolution why Apple, Google, Sony, are not in the market with their own headset 4K? why Samsung didn’t even take the risk to sell the odyssey in Europe?

My point is HTC didn’t take any chances, they only improve their design with knowed tech we can hate them for this but if it was our money we would probably have done the same.

The marketing strategy and price is another story. Neglecting a loyal customer base is generally not a good idea

Sony? That’s easy they haven’t bothered with pc vr market. Google is making a play but there ambition is I’d say at least 1-2 years away. But on Android the play is there in the mobile market; however since these are AiO’s the bandwidth is not an issue per say. And pimax did say there is a project using the 4k clpl displays in a Qualcomm project with stable 90hz.

Not much if you want to make a business plan :wink:

Is the HTC Vive Pro a PenTile or RGB stripe display?

probably this one with a pentile matrix ( high probability didn’t find a final answer)
https://www.oled-info.com/sdc-launches-35-qhd-vr-amoled-615-ppi

Pentile its the samsung oddyssy panels.

Thats what I figured. I had the Samsung Odyssey and really didnt care for the PenTile for VR video. Ill stick with the Pimax 4k until I see something better come along.Thanks for the reply!!

Ah but i think when LG finally releases there steam ultra gear will likely bump things further than the Vive Pro and atm the one selling point the audio being fixed will be key. It just shows even a big company stumbles.

Apple we know is slow to update display res; however BridgeVR does look impressive with the Structure sensor. (Expansive though makes GearVR look like cardboard for price lol)

Thanks @Heliosurge, is there any brand?

Uvex is on the front. When i am on days will see if i can get better details.

No, I haven’t considered heroVR or Varjo at this point, Pimax8K is my largest exposure to edge-case VR so far.

My headache with the OG Vive was always down to comfort rather than screen brightness, but might have also been casued by my eyes trying to maximize perceived resolution when neither Rift or Vive were able to physically deliver.

I have also tried the Samsung Odyssey; I didn’t care for it beyond the ease of setup due to its tracking method but I suppose mainly based on the fact that a) my face shape made me perceive serious barrel distortion and b) my headshape made the HMD uncomfortable and I wasn’t able to place the audio cans correctly. I imagine it works well for other users.