Well, vive pro with eye tracker is out

opinion

now that vive pro with eye tracker is out, when will pimax release theirs?

i wonder what can you do with eye tracker beside helping with the rendering

• reduce the amount of data to transfer by wireless in a similar fashion as done on rendering
  • correct lens distortion dynamically with eye tracking (persumably done in the star vr hmd?)
  • use it as input device (afair shown by pimax on last ces) - that will be very limited, not much you can input by looking beside longer looking at the point in question, would be just a addition to controllers like wands or knuckles

edit: i’m not convinced pimax would be able to innovate in that area, they are small and eye tracking is not there primary field of work, there are company’s with years of development and experience

Pimax already stated their eye tracker is complete, just waiting for the right time to release, that was 2 months ago

yes but in that state the prescription lens adapter will not be usable at the same time and as long as there is no additional use (beside some whack a mole game) there is no point in releasing it, waiting will decrease the price and thats one important point for pimax as they would have to deliver (first?) 6000 free units to backers
if they get distortion correction or foveated rendering working then it might be a thing, we will see if they do something about that when the 8k-x comes out, even with 70-75Hz that resolution will be a problem for the 2080ti

We need the eye tracker ASAP, it will fix distortion, could auto set IPD and add dynamic rendering.

Well, if Pimax can force variable rate shading for fixed foveated rendering it’s not to crazy to think they could do the same with real foveated rendering. So that’s really good. Huge performance gains on that one. Besides that, IPD detection perhaps. Real time distortion correction maybe. Lots of potential. Foveated rendering could reduce bandwidth needed for wireless. Render part of the frame in high res, then render the rest in low, then send them both to the wireless module separately and have it combine the two parts of the frame into one.

The “right time to release” is of course tailored to their benefit not ours, as a bundle in 5 months along with EVERYTHING else promised in order to save individual shipping costs.

sure, and who should develop all that software? or maybe pay patent fees?
just having the hardware doesn not help
what would happen if pimax delivers the eye tracking hardware and there is no working software - some backers would complain without end - as they do now - the only difference is that pimax does not has to spent the money now, if the software is not ready its pointless to have the module

and about the asap, there are a lot of things one ore the other thinks whats most important (i’d like to see the wirless module to happen)

with all the crazyness about IPD what would a AutoIPD bring when its ajusting the headset in the way what is now default (and not working for a lot of people without the manual correction in pitools) - first its needed to find out why its a problem for so many people and after that you might think of a fix

You are missing distortion correction. They are probably writing this into pitool as we speak I would hope to release the eye tracking alongside the new version.

Eye tracker is 3rdparty; so eyetracking company would also be invested in developing features.

It may help to set soft value if needed. But folks will still need to dial in physical ipd. But it could tell you what to dial in & adjust soft ipd for Asymetrical ipd offset.

That’s what I had in mind.

They’re benefit as in both pimax & eye tracking partner; as it should be.

Working out use with vr frame adapter is a good thing. But a basic 3dprintable frame (community has worked one out) in the meanwhile is needed til official design ready.

i’d not expect them to have experience in things like distortion correction for lenses, thats area of the core vr development and its not enough to have people being good in c++, that needs much more and falls under R&D
i’ts more likely pimax comes up with foveated rendering, FFR is the 1st step and there might be code or help from nvidia for that case

we will see if the release of the vive pro eye has any impact in the steam enviroment

Hence partnership. Both teams working together is needed.

if i look how long it took pimax to come up with controllers or much more simpler things like head strap and face foam or extension cable
then all this eye tracking stuff is so much more advanced that i don’t see pimax being able to come up with this in a foreseeable future (lets say in 2019)
to sell headsets you don’t need the eye tracking, they are going for the highes resolution (8k-x) and i’m pretty sure next important thing is controller and basestations (or a new tracking system without valve lighthouse to be independent) and also to fix the mess around how to wear it and IPD
my guess is that eye tracking and wireless will stay in R&D for a while

They could make the eye tracker with a built in lens adapter, this would save having to have both eye tracker and the lens adapter in at the same time.

Eye tracking is already done…they showed it off months ago but then said they arent releasing it for “reasons”…

They haven’t released it yet because there isn’t much content for it. Although this may be true, getting it delivered to all the Pimax backers may accelerate development for it. I hope it launches with IPD detection and maybe even foveated rendering support for some games.

And software companies aren’t going to devote resources to writing code for hardware that hasn’t even been released yet. If Pimax is convinced that their eye tracker has reached its final production version, then they need to get it in the hands of their customers. The more people that have the hardware, the sooner that software developers will consider adding support for it.