Will Pimax 8k feature a blue light filter?

True but you don’t have the Sun at night.

110 000 lux is the normal average in bright day light but even outside in a very sunny day our eyes don’t received that must light on the retina

http://photobiology.info/Rozanowska.html
Damage to the retina induced by sunlight: solar retinopathy.
Light damage in the human retina due to excessive exposure to sunlight
is known as solar retinopathy. It has been estimated that direct gazing
at the sun with constricted pupil of 2 mm in diameter produces an image
of the sun on the retina of 0.16 mm in diameter in an emmetropic eye and
irradiance in that small area is about 11 W/cm2

The eyes irradiation show in the chart on a trip to a sunny beach is about 1x10^-3 W/cm. It’s a factor of at least power 4 smaller vs direct sunlight.

This is the base illumination we must consider for a comparison, I will try to calculate for a 5mm pupil dilatation and 500 lux VR Headset

Other things to consider

• direct damage is not the only concern, bio-physiological impact could be possible
  • LCD produce more blue light

https://www.quora.com/How-bad-are-virtual-reality-headsets-for-your-eyes-particularly-for-young-children

A recent study suggests Amoled/Oled maybe worst than lcd backlighting. As Oled is emissive light source. Where as Lcd is Transmissive (lcd panel filters backlight). Where as Oled each pixel is a light source.

This reddit has lux values of oculus cv1 & dk2 & Vive in lux.

Test any and all blue filter or glasses using a pure blue laser pen, if the laser ray passes through it is only junk, more than half of blue filters on the market are rubbish, and almost 100% of them if they are yellow. Always test it before, a laser pen is very cheap nowadays.

But the problem it’s more complicated then cutting 100% of the blue light

Blue light is generally defined as visible light ranging from 380 to 500
nanometers (nm). Since the entire visible spectrum ranges from 380nm to
700nm, blue light makes up approximately one-third of all visible light

Doing you so will impair color vision in the headset, so the filter can only block some BL ( probably in the lower more energetic portion) and remodel the spectrum to something more like the SUN spectrum.

This guy was using a common red laser not a pure blue one.

You can ask your optician to make you a pair of lens with the most advanced computer/blue light filters available today (can be added to reading glasses/prescription glasses too), they are not cheap but totally block the damaging light with only a minor chromatic loss, stopping the blue laser right on the external side of the lens, and they are totally clear transparent.

Using colored glasses only filters a certain spectrum of light and is not very affordable for testing because it only “masks” or changes some colors, not effectively blocking it.

Also possible to order for VR

The array of lead is a more interesting test, the relative brightness gives a approximation of the filtering factor across the spectrum

laser safety google are not build to protect from a direct laser impact unless it’s really low power, thinking otherwise is dangerous…

It’s interesting you mention this. I have floaters since I was about 16 I think. Most of the time they don’t bother me but I also found that using a HMD at full brightness increases the visibility. The good thing is that if I don’t use a HMD at full brightness for 2-3 days the floaters go back to normal and I don’t notice them anymore, but if I only use a HMD at full brightness for a couple of minutes, they become much more visible again.

BTW I also experience the same in very sunny days without sunglasses. I do think it’s mostly a function of brightness and not so much related to blue light. Anyway I always run my Vive Pro in ‘night mode’ which reduces brightness which alleviates the problem a lot.

My dad was an optometrist and introduced me to “floaters” when I was young (around 9 years old) when I noticed them while looking up at the sky. They are quite common and get more prevalent as you get older. Eye trauma (like getting hit in the face) can dislodge more.

I can mostly ignore mine, but staring at a white computer screen (like right now) makes them visible (if I pay attention to them). This happens even when my monitor on its dimmest brightness setting.

As to the topic at hand, the standard diagnostic test for floaters uses a diffuse blue light.