"Xtal HMD" new king of VR headsets according to Sweviver

review

It uses Oleds like the XR yet less screen door than than Pima 5k+

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPY_XNpn08&t=919s

Xtal Hands on by Sweviver

After watching the video though, the one takeaway for me is that Pimax should be able to do the same with PiTool! The resolution is exactly the same per eye! So if Pimax can adjust the software to allow direct mode, that is, using the entire resolution of the displays inside the HMD, we should get a huge bump in performance since then our GPU is only required to render at 1440p per eye instead of 4K resolution for sharpness.

I could be wrong though. Most times I am, but I’m still convinced that that is possible.

I think you mean to adjust to use Extended mode. The headset already runs in direct mode.

The special optics in the Xtal are truly key. Both StarVR & pimax are using fresnel hybrids. Where as Xtal has sweet Aspherical custom lenses.

Xtal Hands on by Sweviver

Why XTAL is the king of VR headsets for Flight and Racing Simulators

@SweViver
Would be interesting to know the model of the panel used! Thank again for a nice and detail video.

Hum 4900 euro about 5512$ US :wink:

Price of the XTAL: EUR 4,900 (excl. VAT)
Tracking solution: to be clarified upon your inquiry
Accessories: to be clarified upon your inquiry

And it’s more custom then aspherical :slight_smile: big part of the price is in those lens.

VR is starting to warm up me thinks! Now it’s out there I don’t think it will be long before this level of quality comes down in price.

Agreed, I think Pimax should study what they are doing. Im still annoyed with the pupil swim and poor performance even with the i9 and 2080ti.

And they have less SDE with the same oleds that Pimax XR have

Gee that’s only $7,384.73 CA. tax in Think I’ll get 2 :grin:

Thanks I will send you my shipping address!
:joy:

The automatic ipd adjustment with eyetracking was nice.
And he mentioned no distortions.
Pimax should hurry with the eyetracking module so we can get rid of the distortions, too.

I think it’s the addition of all small design details that make the result so much a part from other headsets no just the eyes tracking distortion adjustment

Excellent video Sweviver!!!

Simply magnificent job my friend. I have to admit, I’m somewhat tempted to get one, but the logistical side of me says it doesn’t make sense to buy it.

We have StarVR making a come back, with the hopes of Acer making it available to consumers some time this year, and we have the XTAL consumer version, which I’d like to think will be here sometimes no later than mid to late 2020. Not to mention we also have the Pimax 8K-X come out hopefully early to mid 2020, with HOPEFULLY OLED screens.

The image clarity on the current XTAL seems like it would make it a fantastic experience, but with StarVR having a HORIZONTAL fov of 210º, sorry I’d rather go with that :slight_smile:

Anyway the future looks bright :slight_smile:

Even more if it’s with OLED screens :wink:
Seriously even the PImax 5K XR seem to have more definition in the cockpit capture because of the black background under the text

the picture is very nice, but I think it doesn’t tell me the whole story… A flat image (the physical display pixel matrix) cannot be placed on a curved surface without distortion. So how is this achieved? Pixel density is the same in every points of the field of view?

That’s what I said. Custom aspherical vs custom fresnel.

@SweViver BIG question, does it not have PP? that’s a big reason why so many sims and AAA/AA titles are very demanding on the pimax, cause of stupid PP! so XTAL doesn’t need it…? If so, surely pimax can eliminate the need for it no?

The impressive things are:

• Rendering pipeline is spot on using 1:1 resolution. This will give you more clarity and less issues in general
  • The 1:1 ratio gives you a lot of extra performance headroom
  • OLED without SDE
  • Eye tracking will give the perception of less distortion also as the sweet spot is always there

Very much the future of high end VR. I’ve always looked at my 5k+ as a stop gap.

Advances of technology along economies of scale will mean that we’ll eventually get this tech at better price points which is great news.

I don’t think eye tracking distortion correction works when you use a cellphone camera…:sunglasses: ( if any is present I don’t see any mention of it in the specifications…only a camera for IPD ajustement wich could or not do eyes tracking)

I see 6 complete red pixels for the left button on the XTAL where only about 4 are visible in the other captures only this give an increase in brut PPI of about 25% to 30%. Add to that the phenomenal sharpness …

By the way eye tracking don’t seems to be activated for fovea rendering of distortion cancellations maybe it’s not ready…

Full-featured eye-tracking

The second software upgrade will unlock the potential of XTAL’s proprietary eye-tracking system currently used for the AutoEye functionality to automatically adjust the lenses’ position to user’s individual interpupillary distance for the best visual experience. This upgrade will open the internal eye camera system to developers, allowing them to consume raw camera images, as well as detected retina centers. This will bring XTAL users a broad range of advanced ways to use eye-tracking like foveated rendering, marketing research, medical diagnostics, new training programs, even headset security by locking it to a particular person. And we are just scratching the surface of the possibilities there.

That is not a software matter, I’m afraid: You’d need to redesign the lenses, or use a smaller display panel.

It should mean the screens move along with the lenses in the XTal, when IPD is adjusted, whereas with the fixed-in-place screens in the P8k series, the unused areas to the sides are necessary, to fit the image across the entire IPD range.

I wonder what the stereo overlap is like; A good bit better than we have with 8k/5k, I hope…